Never been to Spain.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I like smoke n' lightning...Heavy Metal Thunder...

Ok, my deep dark secret is I basically grew up in Surrey, despite my Euro and urban pretensions. I was surrounded by kids with Ozzy and Iron Maiden patches on the backs of their torn jean jackets. Since metal was the music of everyone else around me, I tried to differentiate myself with other types of musical identities: Rockabilly, Mod, Goth, etc and had the music collection to show for it.

Later I discovered music of other eras, other cultures and was a big world music guy after high school. The closest I ever let myself get to heavy metal was Iggy Pop.

My latest thing has been modern classical composers. I'm bored with most mainstream and alternative genres. I'm interested in music, in composition, and everyone keeps rehashing the same old 4x4/3x4 time, three chord music in all of 3 key signatures. boring. Even the indy brit-pop and the like. If you're going to do three chords at least make it political, or say something interesting and make it raw. Or go onstage naked. or in fun fur bikinis. but i digress...I've been searching out people who were searching out a new musical direction, adding to the canon, so to speak.

I have (Re)discovered metal. I was listening to Iron Maiden's "Flight of Icarus" and "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" just this morning. I threw the horns at a co-worker who is a metal fan as he walked past my desk and he snickered. Not your typical horn-thrower I guess.

Gotta love that galloping bass line and the over-the-top operatic voice. That and the mythological themes.

For all you Homestarrunner.com fans: "And the dragon comes in the night!"

No comments: