Never been to Spain.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

This book is now in my sights: "There is a Season" by Patrick Lane. I've never really given him much of a read and even Larry Campbell recommends him. Strangely enough, my path has crossed his many a time, his sons are both cousins and university roommates of one of my oldest and closest friends; I attended a university where he taught and many of my fellow students worshipped the old bugger; I was part of an upstart student newspaper where the arts editor was named Patrick Lane (no relation) and Lane's ex-wife once stalked me to return to her a crappy old futon that her son had agreed to sell to me for a bargain price after she followed her precious sons from Vernon to Victoria. I eventually got tired of her angry messages and returned to sleeping on a mattress on the floor. How bohemian. All this and I never spent much time reading Patrick Lane's works. Funny when you become aware of someone through a lot of different angles than the ones that they are known for by most people. Gives you a different perspective on someone who is considered more or less a national hero.

Oh, and I'm going to borrow it from the library, rather than buy it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't really see the point in buying books, except for reference books. I have a handful of novels that I couldn't wait til the library had, but generally I borrow. I couldn't afford to buy with my reading habits--I'd be spending more on books than food. The bloody things are so expensive. I'd like to know how much of the retail the actual writer gets.