Never been to Spain.

Friday, March 11, 2005

The only living boy in New York

I live in a multi-cultural city, in fact today I was the only white person on the bus during afternoon rush hour. Interestingly, only me and the driver were non-asian- he was indo-canadian. I was the only whitey, though.

Sometimes parts of Vancouver feel like microcosms of Asia. We are multi-ethnic, but seem dominated by particular nationalities. In my visits to Germany, that country has always felt more truly multi-ethnic than Vancouver to me, despite the misconceptions those who have never been visited might have about it being some kind of racist, all white society. It's more mixed and no less racist than Vancouver. We just hide our intolerance better behind our outwardly multi-cultural sleeves.

No comments: